Borrow, grow, return
The seed library is now closed for the 2021 growing season.
We house our seed library at both branches of the library. Thank you to everyone who borrowed seeds. Remember to save seeds throughout the growing season and return them to the seed library in the fall.
- You can access The Seed Library in both Pakenham and Almonte branches.
- Seeds are available while supplies last (usually March-June each year). We cannot guarantee stock or supply.
- At the end of the growing season, save your seeds and donate them back to the library. This creates an ongoing supply loop to fuel the seed library!
How to borrow
Our 2021 seed stock is now “sold out”! Thanks for your interest, Mississippi Mills!
Seeds are available on a first come, first-served basis while supplies last. You may borrow whatever amount of seeds you need but please be mindful to leave seeds for others. Our seed collection may be browsed in-person at both branches.
Seeds donations always welcome
We need your help to “grow” our inventory! Donations are being accepted now. Here’s how you can help:
- Complete our seed library donation form, then attach the form to an envelope filled with the saved seeds.
- Drop your donation at any of our branches.
Upcoming gardening programs
Programs will start in 2022! You’ll be able to register online to attend a free workshop.
Email our “Seed Librarian” for more information.
- Canadian Seed Catalogue – Seeds of Diversity Canada
- Basic Seed Saving – Seeds of Diversity Canada
- Seed Saving Basics by K.Ruby Blume – Institute of Urban Homesteading
- How to Save Seeds: Easy – self-pollinated seeds
- How to Save Seeds: Medium – wind or insect pollinated seeds
- How to Save Seeds: Advanced – overwintering seeds